"I have to conclude that the LCT 550 is a very capable all-rounder that delivers an honest yet musically satisfying sound in just about any recording situation you can imagine. It is extremely quiet, as the specifications imply, which means it can be used for demanding work where the sound sources are not necessarily very close to the microphone. I'm not sure that the advanced auto-attenuation feature is a necessity for most users, but it doesn't hurt to have it. While this microphone has a professional price tag it is still very reasonably priced given its fine performance." - Paul White, Sound On Sound
The LCT 550 is the first and only large-diaphragm studio microphone ever to achieve 0 dB (A) self-noise*. That makes it possible to capture even extremely weak signals with great precision and detail.
The Austrian-developed LCT 550 sets new standards in terms of more than just self-noise. A dynamic range of 140 dB (A) guarantees the best-possible results even in challenging settings. The three pre-attenuation levels (0 dB, -6 dB and -12 dB) increase maximum SPL to as high as 155 dB (A). The LCT 550 also offers a clipping history as well as an auto-attenuation mode that automatically switches to the next level of attenuation if the signal is too strong. For the elimination of structure-borne noise, there are two high-pass filters: 80Hz, 12dB/octave and 160Hz, 6dB/octave.
Manufacturing tolerances have been minimized thanks to highly precise calibration of the capsule and the electronics – which means that any two microphones from this series, set identically, will always form a matched pair at +/- 0 dB!
* 0dB-A electronics only, 3 dB (A) according to IEC 60268-1 due to Brownian motion (in simple terms: the sound caused by the movement of air molecules ...)
- A perfect match – highly precise calibration of capsule and electronics means that any two microphones from this series will always form a matched pair at +/- 0 dB
- Precise transient response thanks to the 3-micron-thin, gold-layered, low-mass, 1-inch Mylar diaphragm
- Extraordinary sensitive: capture even extremely weak signals with great precision and detail
- Cardioid polar pattern for effective rear sound rejection
- 0 dB (A) self-noise from electronics and circuitry *
- 140 dB dynamic range Max. SPL of 155 dB (A)
- Immune to electromagnetic interference thanks to transformerless preamplifier circuitry
- Illuminated user interface for quick and easy handling in dark environments
- Noiseless pushbuttons for attenuation and low-cut selection
- Automatic Attenuation and Clipping History mode
- Rugged zinc die-cast body
- Internal shock mount for maximum reduction of structure borne noise
- Corrosion-resistant gold-plated 3-pin XLR output connector